Substitute Gift Shop & Book Store Employee: Job Description
CSJ is looking to hire 3 retail shop sales associates. This is a substitute position, meaning you will be on call to fill in when the need arises. You would be one of three people that would be contacted (on a rotating basis of who is contacted first) in the event the shop needs staff coverage. In the event you are available, you would work that day’s schedule from 11-4. If you are unavailable, the next substitute on the list will be contacted. The pay rate will be $20 per hour.
- Greet & receive all customers in a welcoming manner.
- Assist customers with questions, suggesting options for purchases suitable for customer needs, and sharing product.
- Sales knowledge (i.e., fair trade, eco-friendly, local artists, current sales, etc.).
- Complete purchase transactions by scanning items (i.e., merchandise, programs, memberships), conduct returns, and wrapping fragile items.
- Answer questions regarding CSJ’s program; event offerings (information is available on the website & program posters in the shop).
- Opening & closing the shop (i.e. hanging the open flag; signs, adjusting building temperature – heat, AC, fans).
- Balance cash drawer by counting cash at the end of the day.
- Communicating pertinent information to administrator (i.e., questions you were unable to answer, relay messages, concerns, etc.).
- Ability to stand (for periods of time), climb stairs, bend, stand on step stool.
- Ability to collect payments by accepting cash, check, and credit cards. Basic math skills required.
- Experience working with the public; customer service is required.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Knowledge of Square; iPad preferred.
- Retail experience preferred.
Orientation & Training:
- Review CSJ’s mission; policies
- Overview of opening; closing of shop
- Familiarizing you to the merchandise
- General overview of Square
- Comprehensive training on opening; closing of shop, how to use Square; complete all transactions, review training manual for next training.
- Shadow Day – where you will have the opportunity to “run the shop” for the day with support from the administrator.
- Ongoing training; support will be provided.